Can't stop upgrading graphics! + Physical interaction!

I gotta stop promising what I'll write about in future posts.

This time I have, again, a short new video and some screenshots to show. Plus, some major changes to talk about.
The video showcases the new physical interaction mechanics similar to Penumbra and Amnesia. I've updated the textures and shadows as well. Here's a link to the video:

And some screenshots before going into the topic:





















Major Changes

I've taken a good look at this project and cut down some excess features. But I've also added some better systems. Here's an overview:
  • No more co-op! It dawned on me that neither survival horror nor roguelite mechanics support multiplayer in any way. Neither did multiplayer enhance those genres. (Co-op does not work well with permadeath, let me tell you.)
  • Physical interaction system! Without netcode to worry about, I can go wild with physics!
  • No text parser or physical crafting. These features have kinda become obsolete with the new direction the game is going.
  • Procedural levels. Yes! I've decided to go for a roguelite approach and have procedural levels. I've always loved making such systems. And I've a few tricks up my sleeve to keep the level design from looking same-y.
  • A bunch of other small things that I won't go into yet. Mainly I've tightened the game's scope in a lifesaving way. With the discarding of multiplayer, I've had the opportunity to revamp some of the older legacy code as well.

The Identity

I've come up with the game's core identity. It goes like this: Survival Horror Roguelite.
Short and sweet, isn't it? The first descriptions I had for this game (although it's not the same game anymore to be honest) were hideously long.

The future of SiP is looking bright!

I've figured out the core design of the game, core loops and all, and come up with a solid feature list.
For the first time, I have a decently finished vision for the game, without any "I'll figure it out eventually" deals.

This was kind of a hasty post, but I'll be back with more. See you soon!

Kommentit

Tämän blogin suosituimmat tekstit

The game has graphics!

Video Update